October 30, 2007

Q&A "Yippee, I found a book listed for $3300.00"

Dear Janet

I am listing books we bought at thrift stores this week and have a
toughie: Study Guide to accompany Business Information Systems, An
Introduction 5th edition by Diana Stark, ISBN 0070358737, paperback, out
of print, c. 1993. It has 256 pages. Hardback books are listed for $20
to 50, Paperback lists for $3300.00 on Abebooks and $2385.00 on Amazon by
the same seller. I updated our scanner today and scanned the book again
and it came up used good condition for $500.00, no rating, 1 book listed.
I checked several other sites and didn't find anything to tell me why
the other seller listed it for so much. I'm not sure what price to list
it with. What would you suggest?

This is an excellent question and one you WILL come across in your book selling business. Here is my reply below.

Hi Brent,
I think you may have found one of those dreamers who thinks that
they can price a book for what they want to get for it instead of allowing the
demand to price it for you. Oddly others who may find this uncommon (and
unwanted) book also have hopped on board as well and followed suite in the high
price. Below is a listing on Amazon (I think you also found this one as well)
that lists this same book in HB for 34 cents! If you want to, go head and list
it. Perhaps it is a first edition ....or signed by the author or.... is gold
plated but someone may buy it. In my opinion you may not have a hope in heaven
of it selling at that price but it may be very interesting to watch a price war
that may occur. (but probably won't since there is such low demand) The rank is
over 5 million so don't hold your breath. For humors sake, I might list my copy
along side that only listing for ...say, $1999.00 and see if he lowers his price
to match yours.

Here is the link to the paper back version of the same title.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0070358710/ref=olp_product_details/102-2507707-5232151?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Do not be discouraged though. High priced books are out there. We just
sold one for $270.00 and that is small price compared to what some of your books
can sell for if you hone your book selling skills well.

This is also a prime example of learning to "interpret the data" on your scanner. Watching for one only copy listed at an unusually high price can mean you have hit the jack pot or may mean you have found a dreamer so I would try to make a judgment on whether or not to buy it. But quite honestly, I would probably have bought it as well, on a hope that after I did more research I might find some validity to the scanned price. If not, oh well, it was worth a try! The research experience that you did was worth the price you paid for the book! "

Janet Langford
Book Sellers Online

No comments: